The magnificent mountain range Serra de Collserola rises up over the Barcelona Metropolitan Area. It is almost touching the city. For the huge population that lives around these mountains it forms a much-loved and incredibly valuable natural area and a great privilege to enjoy. Collserola is a well-preserved natural area – 22 times bigger than Central Park in New York. Though forest predominates it includes a variety of other plant formations that provide a habitat for valuable biological diversity as well.
Things to do in Barcelona
Visit the top of Tibidabo with its amusement park and the cathedral Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor
- Parc Tibidabo is one of the oldest amusement parks in the world that are still running. It was opened in 1905 and still has many original attractions.
- The temple on top of the mountain had been built between 1902 and 1962.
Go up the Torre de Collserola, Barcelona´s iconic telecom tower designed by Sir Norman Foster
- The emblematic tower was built for the Olympic Games in 1992. With its futuristic design it provides the highest view point of the city.
- Go up with the glass lift – it is a hidden gem and one of the few remaining attractions not overrun by tourists – with good weather you can even see as far as the mountain monastery of Montserrat.
Walk through the forest to Can Cortes and have a traditional lunch
- It is about a 1 to 1,5 hours walk through the forest along old fountains until you reach Can Cortes, a traditional masia.
- During the week the masia offers a great value menu for approximately 15 Euro: 3 courses including bread and wine.
Exit the funicular at its mid-stop and walk the Carretera de les Aigües
- This trail got its name from the water pipes that used to run along this path.
- It offers magnificent viewing points from the Collserola ridge.
- With a length of almost 10 kilometres and its highest point at 450 metres above sea level it has become one of the locals’ most popular cycling and walking trails.
- This is a great Barcelona walking tour.
Many hiking options
- The natural park offers many hiking options with a variety of resting and pick nick places.
How to get there
Take the S1 or S2 train FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya) from Plaça Catalunya to Peu del Funicular. Switch to the funicular and go up the mountain to Vallvidrera Superior. You can use the same metro ticket. In case you are a group just buy a T-10 ticket for zone 1. You can also check options where to get off during a Barcelona bus tour.
Do not miss during your Barcelona trip
More than a city – Barcelona Nature Walk: From Tibidabo along the old Roman road to the medieval city of Sant Cugat
- Private tour with our local tour guide